In 1966, with the help of the West Berlin Senate, the DAAD officially took over the West Berlin “artists-in-residence program,” initiated by the Ford Foundation in 1963, and has continued to administer and develop it since then under the name the DAAD Artists-in-Berlin Program. In 1978, the daadgalerie was opened as a new exhibition venue in West Berlin for bringing together the diverse activities of the artists’ program and offering international guests a platform within the German cultural scene. From the very beginning, the daadgalerie has held exhibitions, performances, readings, concerts, sound projects, and film presentations.
In 2005, the daadgalerie moved to Zimmerstrasse, which had once been divided by the Berlin Wall. At this new location projects by and with Artists-in-Berlin Program guests from all disciplines were realized in a white-cube-like exhibition space. Since January 2017, the daadgalerie has a new location at Oranienstr.161 in Kreuzberg. The exhibition and venue spaces are located in “Haus Stiller,” a residential and commercial building designed by Oskar Kaufmann and built from 1910 to 1911. Presented on the ground floor level of the daadgalerie are exhibitions featuring current and former guests of the DAAD Artists-in-Berlin Program. The daadgalerie_studio located on the first floor serves as a venue for public events of the visual arts, film, literature, and music divisions.